Search

Friday, June 25, 2010

The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong

Publisher: Random House
Copyright: 2008

When Chloe gets stalked by a gory-looking ghost janitor and tries to run away from school, she is diagnosed with schizophrenia and is put in Lyle House, a home for unstable teens. Chloe finds out from her new friends that she is not a schizophrenic, but is a necromancer and can actually hear the dead speaking to her.
Chloe and her new friends discover that Lyle House is not what it seems, and they must escape with the biggest mystery of their lives.

When I picked up The Summoning, I expected a really good read, judging by the dramatic cover and the New York Times Best Selling Author statement at the top. But judging this book by its cover, however, was one of the worst book wise mistakes I have made.

 First of all, the plot was not at all well thought out. Kelly Armstrong wrote as if the events of the novel were just popping into her head, and she didn't bother to really connect the events throughout the book, either. Not only was the plot scatterbrained and out of the blue, but it was bizarre. The Summoning wasn't the happiest book I've read, either. Just reading it made me feel weary and untrusting of the characters.
 Besides the strange plot to The Summoning, Kelly Armstrong mixed in a bit of uncalled for mature content, used in a twisted and strange way, like the story itself.

 Despite all of the good reviews I have read for this book, I believe it is a matter of opinion whether The Summoning is a good read or not, but still, I have learned the hard way from this novel never to judge a book by its cover. My final opinion for The Summoning is that it's overrated and strange.


To Read  Not to Read

No comments:

Post a Comment