Search

Friday, October 15, 2010

That Summer by Sarah Dessen


For fifteen-year-old Haven, one ordinary summer turns into an epic journey as the days go by. It all starts with her father's remarriage to the "Weather Pet": Haven's mother's nickname for the local weather lady. Then Haven's sister Ashley's old boyfriend turns up at a pasta restaurant one day and at almost every other one of Haven's haunts, sparking her memory of the past. The biggest part of all is that Haven's sister is getting married to a guy who seems to hardly suit her and everything begins to revolve around Ashley.  On top of everything, Haven's best friend Casey thinks she's met her soul mate and Haven herself is six feet tall and still growing. It's all way too much this summer for Haven, and she is pushed over the edge to breaking point very quickly.


I know that you might think my summary for That Summer was a little choppy, but if you thought that, you must have thought the same thing about the book itself. Even though That Summer is Sarah Dessen's first novel, I have obviously read other books of hers before. I believe I've said this in the past, but I find that Sarah Dessen's novels are always slow and too descriptive for the first few chapters and turn out to be amazing later on. Naturally, I expected the same from this book, and got even less. That Summer was one of the slowest books I have ever read and I was greatly disappointed in it.

Normally in a book the characters are somewhat vivid and easy to relate to, the problems of the plot are all solved by the end, and most occurrences in the book seem to foreshadow the conclusion or support other happenings. In That Summer, the characters actually weren't so vivid. I found when Haven was narrating the story from her point of view, it was told rather drone-like. The characters were just there. The events just happened in a way that it didn't seem there should be a necessary order for them. When Haven actually reached "breaking point" in the story, it was surprising to me that she actually had feelings; the characters were so mediocre.

I know that Sarah Dessen is a terrific author otherwise, so if this is the first book you've read by her, don't be turned off. But all in all, this book disappointed me. I really would not recommend it to anybody. My final decision for That Sumer may shock you, or you may agree with me. Please comment on this post , or vote on the book below.


To Read  Not to Read

No comments:

Post a Comment